Criminal Defense, Divorce & Family Law
We are primarily a family law firm. We are now accepting clients in the matters of:
DIVORCE / SEPARATION:
- Uncontested Divorce (no issues in dispute)
- Contested Divorce (one or more issues in dispute)
- Mediation Agreements (The parties meet together with a neutral mediator to reach an agreement that will be made part of the Final Decree of Divorce.) (We can serve as mediators or lawyers)
- Property Settlement and Stipulation Agreements (The parties enter into a written agreement on issues such as property division, custody and support.)
- Premarital and Marital Agreements (The parties can enter into a written agreement to decide in advance what will happen to property and money in the event of a divorce.)
- Collaborative Divorce (with other collaborative professionals)
- Child Protective Services (CPS) investigations and appeals
Many divorces involve issues that require specialized experience. Commander Law has extensive experience in military and civil service divorces. We know the DFAS and OPM rules.
Commander Law also has experience in handling the separation of parties who, though not married, have joint property and debts that require division.
- What to expect when you’re expecting to get a divorce
- Practical Divorce Advice
- When Can I Get An Annulment?
- Should I Stay or Should I Go?
CHILD CUSTODY / SUPPORT / VISITATION:
- We can meet your needs no matter the situation. This includes cases in the Juvenile and Domestic Relations or the Circuit Court. We can help, whether we are representing the mother, father, grandparents, or other interested party. Whether the parties are litigating, mediating, or agreeing, this firm can meet your needs.
- We also handle child support collection and arrearage cases in court and in proceedings with the Division of Child Support Enforcement (DCSE).
- Termination of Parental Rights
- How to Lose Your Custody Case
- Child Support in Virginia
- We handle step-parent, single parent, adult, parental placement, agency and interstate adoptions. The book – “Adoption Procedures and Forms: A Guide for Lawyers,” was literally written by us!
- We also handle surrogacy and assisted conception contracts.
- Military divorces require specialized family law knowledge. We have extensive experience addressing issues with DFAS, TriCare, SGLI, Thrift Savings Plans (TSP), military pensions, Survivorship Benefit Plans (SBP), disability payments, Voluntary Separation Incentives (VSI), Special Separation Benefits (SSB), the Servicemembers’ Civil Relief Act (SCRA) and the Uniformed Services Former Spouses’ Protection Act (USFSPA).
- All disputes can be mediated, if the parties agree to participate. We have a Supreme Court Certified Mediator with more than 30 years of formal mediation experience to assist you. Have your dispute mediated by the mediator who teaches other mediators.
- To encourage mediation, we offer a discount on our normal hourly rates.
- If you have any interest in mediation, make an appointment for you and the other party to come together for the mediation. We can not meet with you separately, since the mediator must remain unbiased.
- Collaborative law is a process in which specially trained attorneys and other professionals (which can include financial and mental health professionals), work together with the clients to try to reach a settlement of areas of concern. The issues are decided by the clients.
- This requires both parties to commit to collaborative law and to retain collaborative law attorneys. This is a relatively new process in the Tidewater area, although it is in great use in other parts of the state. The number of attorneys with training is small due to this requirement. Our office will provide you with a list of trained attorneys.
- Settlement meetings will be conducted with all parties present. There are no court hearings.
- This process greatly reduces costs and emotional wear and tear.
- To discuss whether collaborative law may be appropriate for you, please call to schedule a consultation.
ESTATE & LIFE PLANNING:
- We prepare Wills and Powers of Attorney, as well as Advance Medical Directives.
- We also prepare contacts, leases and deeds that you can use for planning purposes.
CRIMINAL & TRAFFIC LAW:
- Our clients often have criminal and traffic matters in addition to their family law issues. We can handle everything so you won’t need multiple lawyers.
- We handle all types of criminal misdemeanors.
- After your charges have been dismissed, we also will file the correct paperwork to have the charges expunged from your record. Having charges on your record can affect your ability to obtain student loans, housing loans and employment.
- We also handle all types of traffic violations and can discuss what effect they may have on your insurance and driving record.
- Contact our office regarding other family law matters that may arise.