You are not divorced until a Final Decree of Divorce is entered by the Circuit Court. Do not assume that the other party has finalized the divorce. Be certain that you have a certified copy of the Final Decree in hand before moving forward with important actions, such as getting married again.
Following the divorce, there still may be other tasks to complete. These may include some or all of the following:
- If you changed your name in the divorce, notify creditors, etc… Change your name with DMV and Social Security. Get checks with your correct name and change your name on your bank account.
- Do everything that the Final Decree requires such as property transfers, refinancing, obtaining insurance coverage, transferring vehicle titles, etc…
- Ensure that Qualified Domestic Relations Orders are entered and that tax-free transfers have occurred.
- Execute a new Last Will and Testament and change beneficiaries on all insurance policies and retirement plans.
- Maintain the Final Decree of Divorce and all related documents (Orders, Agreements) in a safe and easily accessible place.
Family Law Litigation & Mediation
Serving Hampton Roads