Founded in 1981, Commander Law offers clients the benefit of vast experience, knowledge of the courts and judges and the ability to assess, advise and obtain your goals. We are a Family Law firm serving Hampton Roads, including Norfolk, Portsmouth, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Hampton, Newport News, Isle of Wight and York County.
We believe that it is in the best interest of the client and the family that efforts be made to settle all family law cases. This could involve direct meetings between the parties, mediation with a neutral third party or the assistance of family law attorneys. As judges will tell you, court intervention should be your last resort in most cases. At your initial consultation with our office, your options will be explained further to you. It does not mean that we do not want to handle your case. Instead, it means that we are looking out for you, both personally and financially.
If settlement efforts fail, then court may be your only option. Commander Law is experienced in all aspects of litigation and will vigorously pursue your goals at trial.
“Mediation Wins! It’s Cheaper and Works Better!”
Questions To Ask Your Mediator
1. Are you certified as a Mediator by the Virginia Supreme Court? If not, this person is not a “real” Mediator.
2. How many years of experience do you have as a Mediator? Being a Mediator is not the same thing as being a Lawyer. Lawyer years alone don’t count. Being both a Lawyer and a Mediator is the best of both worlds.
3. What is your Mediation Style? If they don’t know what you are talking about, they are not “real”. I use the facilitative approach to mediation, with a bit of evaluative added, as needed.
4. Do you have any special training or experience in the issues to be mediated? This is especially important in Family Law cases which require special sensitivity and knowledge.
5. What is your experience in drafting Mediated Agreements? The written result is crucial in creating a binding legal contract.
Look for certification, experience, and quality!
And remember that Mediation beats Litigation!
Contact Commander Law today to discuss your options!
© Commander Law and Commanderlaw.com 2018
Except as permitted by the copyright law applicable to you, you may not reproduce or communicate any of the content on this website, including files downloadable from this website, without the permission of the copyright owner.
The owners of copyright in the content on this website may receive compensation for the use of their content by educational institutions and governments, including from licensing schemes managed by Copyright Agency.